The Buddha said:
This existence of ours is as transient as autumn clouds
To watch the birth and death of beings is like looking at the movements of a dance.
A lifetime is like a flash of lightning in the sky,
Rushing by, like a torrent down a steep mountain.

THE ONLY THING WE REALLY HAVE IS NOWNESS, IS NOW.

What the caterpillar perceives as the end, to the butterfly is just the beginning.

Thursday, 3 January 2008

India, Day 6 and 7 - Oracles and first teachings

Thursday, 3rd January 2008 - Thursday was the first day of teachings. His Holiness taught the text Manjushri nama samgiti (Uttering the names of Manjushri) and explained the essence of tantra. 

On the first morning of the Dalai Lama's teachings, Alan didn't manage to get inside the hall. He sat outside with the Tibetans, got covered in Tibetan tea, and then had to move out of the heat. His Britishness didn't allow him to push his way in, like the Tibetans and the Portuguese!


He didn't see the two Tibetan oracles appearing in a trance, one possessed by the Nechung spirit, the other I don't remember by whom, but apparently it was the first time that these two spirits appeared together at a public teaching.

My dad, puzzled by my attempt to describe what I had seen, replied,

"What can I say about oracles? To me, they never brought good news, although my hope never dies. The only Hope that died was the sister of Mr. Leonel, your aunt Lurdes' father, and your cousin Rui's grandfather. But she had a holy death. As you say, only seen. I hope you took some pictures. I'll believe it when I see it."

Indeed, I saw things I myself would never believe if merely told. I explained that cameras weren't allowed inside the temple, and therefore I couldn't any take photos, and suggested that if he was interested he could watch the "Nechung oracle" documentary online.


Friday, 4th January 2008

Continued teachings on Names of Manjushri. Meeting with Geshe-la Damcho. "I try." Presents from monks of Gyakham Khangtsen [Alan's travel diary].

Continues here.

No comments:

Post a Comment