The Buddha said:
This existence of ours is as transient as autumn clouds
To watch the birth and death of beings is like looking at the movements of a dance.
A lifetime is like a flash of lightning in the sky,
Rushing by, like a torrent down a steep mountain.

THE ONLY THING WE REALLY HAVE IS NOWNESS, IS NOW.

What the caterpillar perceives as the end, to the butterfly is just the beginning.

Thursday, 10 January 2008

India, Day 13 - Ganden Monastery

Thursday, 10th January - I was feeling unwell, probably because of heat exhaustion and the incredible amounts of dust that had penetrated my lungs before I finally began to use a mask, and decided to rest instead of attending the Dalai Lama's teachings from Maytreya's Ornament for Clear Realization.

Alan, who turned out to be an acupuncturist and chinese herbalist, came to see me after the morning teachings. In spite of the unbearable heat and my poor health I managed to drag myself out of bed, rationalizing my behaviour by thinking "I'll get some Tibetan medicine on the way."

Geshe-la was thus showing me where my priorities really were, and that I definitely wasn't ready for the celibate life of a nun! It became quite clear that the motivation to attend the teachings wasn't as strong as the motivation to be around Alan.

When we were leaving Gyakham Khangtsen, a couple was arriving and asked "Where are you going?" "To Ganden Monastery," replied Geshe-la. "Shall we join you?" they asked. "No. You, maybe tomorrow." "Hmm, a match making monk?" I remember wondering at the time.

 
We managed to get a taxi to Camp 1,

where Geshe Thinley led us through the streets.

We went past the stupas' square

and finally reached Ganden Monastery, one of the three main Gelukpa university monasteries.

Gently guided by Geshe-la, Alan and I made prostrations and offerings in several different sacred
spaces.

 
I remember wishing that due to the positive potential we were creating together that we could  meet again as spiritual friends in future lives and inspire each other to practice the Dharma.

 Geshe-la then asked for the camera and took this photo, almost as if giving us his blessing.




Thursday 10th January Ornament of Clear realization Haribadra. P too ill to go to teachings. Finish at lunchtime. Go with geshe Thinley to Ganden. Buy incence. P gets Tibetan medicine. Then Geshe Wangchen teachings. Then Geshe Damcho-la teachings. Then chat with P. She kisses me sweetly. We have hug in my room. [Alan's diary]

Continues here

No comments:

Post a Comment